Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Publishers are Sadists

Okay honestly, most people who read to the point of obsession, i.e ME, have this uncontrollable physical demand to read the next book by their favorite authors the second it goes on sale. (Yeah, my bros camp out for concert tickets, I attend all night book release parties at my local Barnes&Noble, I think it's easy to see who will go far in life.) However, after filling out my calender for all of my favorites' release dates I have made a rather disturbing discovery; All of them are smack in the middle of the school year. Worse, almost all hit midterm and final prep week. After checking previous calenders I discovered that this has occurred not only this year but almost all years previously as well. So that leaves me with a question

WHAT SADISTIC FREAKS AT THE PUBLISHING COMPANIES ARE PICKING THESE DATES!

Check it out:
Simon & Schulster
Goliath by Scott Westerfeld, releases on September 20, 2011
You all know how much I love this guy, honestly I wrote a whole post singing his praises about four entries back. So I've had this date logged for quite some time. Only recently did I realize it hits the week when my college slams us with homework, it's a month in and time for the first big exams. Well Scott you did say the tears of your readers keep you young. Hope you enjoy immortality you bas***d.













McElderberry Books
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare releases on Dec 6, in other words finals week.
I'll openly admit I have no self control when it comes to this series. Although the Clockworks aren't bad, they are a prequel to a series I have a few issues with. However both are dripping with sarcastic humor and well birds of a feather...
Plus the last installment, Clockwork Angel leaves readers with a hundred unanswered questions. Also this series usually has an attractive man on the cover, so even when it sucks I sort of win.









 

Hyperion/Disney
Lost in Time by Melissa de la Cruz releases September 27 (Same as Goliath)
This is the one of the most sweetest romances I have ever read. It's also a vampire novel. But before you Twilight haters grab your torches and pitchforks think of this. Jack and Skye could take Edward and Bella in any competition.
Looks: please Jack's a man's man, he doesn't sparkle and Skye's a model.
Talent: The Cullens and Volturi would wet themselves if faced in a battle against the Conclave.
Intelligance: honestly I won't even insult the Blue Bloods by calling this a competition.
Personality: Jack hears his girl's in trouble and he runs out sword drawn. He doesn't run away like Edward. Skye also isn't afraid to say, "Jack, we're doing it my way." And Jack's confidant enough to either let her or disagree, but let her make the choice. He'd also break any rule for her. Including one that could mean his death, and then fight to stay alive. Jack isn't afraid to die for Skye, But he'd rather live for her, and that's real love.
And lastly
Knopf
Inheiritance By Christopher Paolini releases on 10-8-11
Okay, for those of you who aren't familar with the seires, this author has never met a deadline...ever! I read the first book in seventh grade, and now I'm a freaking sophmore in college! I've been waiting years for this finale and it gets released right after midterms and one my best bud's birthday? When my brain is too fried off of test and cake to appreciate it? Life sucks.
It's a great book and my dad and sister have been paitient too. Plus it's the finale so it'll be so worth it.

My overall point, is that these are YA books so they should be released when Young Adults can fully enjoy them and not have to choose between burning the midnight oil for textbooks or these amazing novels. So screw you Publishing Overlord. Screw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment