Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bedtime Stories

I know I have already posted tonight but something else came to mind. A lesson I learned the hard way last night.
In late May of 2009 I took a trip to Europe. The first top was London. When most of you think London you think Big Ben, Thames River, Shakespeare, Buckingham Palace, humorless men that guard said palace, Harry Potter, or if you're my sister, who has the directional sense of compass in the Bermuda Triangle, the Eifle Tower.
I however am programed a little differently. So while the British Museum satisfied the part of me facinated with history, what I thought of was East End, and the grusome things that occured there in one of the most famous cold case in history.
I took a tour of three of the five canonical crimescenes of the Ripper slayings....at night...after spending the day on Tower Green...not my best move, but I had three roomies and exhaustion on my side which kept the shadows at bay. (Sidenote: for you who think Harry Potter this tour actually takes you down the Diagon Alley used in the film)

Last night however I spent hours verifying a claim by a famous author on the identity of the infamous killer after reading the first several chapters of her book...at midnight...the week before Halloween...alone in my room with my sister's black cat...yeah...guess who checked all the locks in her house and slept with her grandfather's knife wishing it was Daddy's Magnum?
So children, tonight i impart unto you this wisdom, Jack the Ripper is not a good bedtime story.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tip. I shall try to remember that next time I feel deeply compelled to research serial killers at some near ungodly hour in the morning.

    And the same applies for playing games about serial killers (like the tragic stories in Trauma Team).

    Yet, I can't help but to find this ironic, coming from a forensic science student...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because I'm a forensic student doesn't mean I'm not human! You try looking at the Ripper mortuary pictures and tell me it isn't freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took you up on that just now.
    Most of the ones I could find were of Cathrine Eddowes. I think it is more tragic and twisted than anything. Perhaps freaky if that is how you would define it.

    And I never said that you weren't human. I was only saying that this is something that you will be confronted with on a daily basis. And it will be even closer to home, so to speak. So, I am trying to figure out if you would clutch that knife after every night home from work...

    Sorry if that came out differently than I intended :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there is something that isn't mentioned in the blog, on of the theories is that JTR wasn't human, but demonic. I did end up sleeping like a baby after I checked everything. But I had to have my Bible nearby.
    I can handle anything human, but demons are another story. Hence the Bible, because while I can't defeat a demon the Lord I serve can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...that does indeed explain a lot. And AMEN to that :)

    ReplyDelete